In some cases it may happen that important services like the Microsoft Base Filtering Engine are not working correctly or even do not exist. That could be one reason, why Email and Browser Protection are deactivated. In some cases this may happen after an upgrade to a higher version.
The instructions below will help you to add or repair the missing services so that Email and Browser Protection are working correctly again.
These instructions are valid for computers running Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
Don't use this instructions under Windows XP or Windows Vista. If you are using Windows XP or Windows Vista and you have problems with your Email and Browser Protection, please read this article in our knowledge base.
There will be two automatic restarts of your computer.
If you are using a utility program to clean potentially unwanted files (like CCleaner), the script may not work correctly. Therefore, please deactivate the corresponding option(s) which delete temporary files.
The provided file makes it easy to add or repair the missing services. Please follow the instructions below:
- Click this link and save the file on your Desktop.
- Click with the right mouse button the downloaded file.
- Select Extract to bfe-fw-fix or Extract All (depending on the software).
- Enter the password avira and click OK.
A new folder called "bfe-fw-fix" is created on your Desktop.
- Open the folder "bfe-fw-fix" and double-click the bfe-fw-fix.exe file .
- Confirm the user account control request with Yes.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
Two automatic restarts are required.
Confirm each prompt with OK.