The described procedure should only be applied if a conventional Avira uninstallation via “Control Panel → Programs and Features/Uninstall a program” fails.
To perform successfully a manual reinstallation of your Avira Antivirus you have to perform first a cleanup of your current Avira Antivirus.
I. Clean your system
1. Delete residual Avira files
- Boot your Windows System in Safe Mode.
- Make sure that your folder options are set as follows.
Click: Start → Control Panel → Folder Options → View → Show Hidden Files and Folders → OK
- Delete the following folders if they exist:
- C:\Program Files\Avira
- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira
- Boot your Windows System in Normal Mode.
2. Clean your registry
- Download Avira RegistryCleaner.
- Run the downloaded file.
- Click Read Keys and confirm with OK after the scan.
- If any keys are found, enable the control box "select all", and click Delete.
- Confirm the next prompt with OK.
3. Reset the Windows LSP (Winsock)
This step is only required if your computer is running a Windows 7 operating system.
- Click Start → All Programs → Accessories.
- Right click "Command Prompt" and run it as administrator.
- Type the following command in the command line:
netsh winsock reset
- Press Enter.
- Restart your computer.
II. Reinstall your Antivirus
- Log in to Avira Connect.
- Click in the left menu panel the Subscriptions button.
- Search for “Antivirus” and click Install.
- The previously acquired Avira Antivirus package will be reinstalled, and the license will be activated automatically.