There are two methods of sending a suspicious file, a possible false positive or a heuristic (HEUR) virus warning to Avira Virus Lab. The suspicious file can be send either directly from the Avira Antivirus product or by using the Avira Website.
I. Send suspicious file from Avira Antivirus
When receiving a detection warning by your Antivirus, move the suspicious file to the Antivirus Quarantine.
We recommend to update the Antivirus before submitting the suspicious file. This way you avoid sending a false positive or malware, which is already included in the newest detection list.
The suspicious file has to be send out directly from the Antivirus Quarantine.
- Click the Avira Icon in the taskbar to open Avira.
- Click Antivirus to open the user interface.
- Once the user interface is displayed, click Quarantine in the left menu panel.
- Select the concerning file and click the Envelope-Icon in the upper menu.
- Fill in the displayed upload form and click OK.
The suspicious file has been sent to Avira. Once the Avira Virus Lab analyses the file, you will receive the results by email.II. Send suspicious file via Avira Website
If you detect a suspicious file or False Positive (not Malware) and want to send it to Avira Virus Lab via Avira website please proceed as follows.
- Go to the provided Avira website.
- Select “Submit suspicious files” and fill in the contact details.
- Add the file via drag and drop in the corresponding field.
Make sure you submit the detected suspicious file itself and NOT a screenshot of it, or a word document with the name of the file.
Please do not submit spam emails to our analysis system. Spam is advertisement which does not contain any malicious content.
- Click Submit.
Once the Avira Virus Lab analysis the file, you will receive the results by email.
For more information about detected malware that has been moved to quarantine, please refer to this knowledgebase article.